Do you struggle with time management? Maybe it takes you much longer to finish a task than you’d expected due to distractions, or perhaps your to-do list is far too long for the amount of time you have allotted. Many of us can improve our time management skills, and one way to do this is to looking at how you manage your time in a different light. Try making a game out of time management and see if that helps you become more productive. Here’s one way you can get those tasks checked off and have some fun.
1. Start with a to-do list.
2. Announce to others what you’re doing. This makes you accountable, knowing that you’re going to tell on yourself later.
3. Guess how many items on your to-do list you can complete in an hour.
4. Eliminate distractions (close social media, turn off your phone, etc.)
5. Set your timer for one hour and get to work!
6. At the end of the hour, report to others how you did.
7. Reward yourself with a small treat, a break to walk your favorite trail, or 10 minutes (use a timer!) of goofing off on social media.
Another way you can make this a game is to compete with an accountability partner. Share your to-do lists with each other and compete against each other for an hour to see who can cross off the most items on the list, or who accomplishes the most difficult or daunting task in that time. This way you’re making sure you’re getting really valuable work done. The ‘loser’ of this challenge can buy the ‘winner’ a coffee. But both win, because they’ve been super productive for an entire hour.
Sometimes challenging yourself to a game of you versus a timer or an accountability partner makes managing your time a lot more fun.
Do you take a game-like approach to time management? Or do you have another time management tip that is more effective for you? Share in the comments below.